September 21 marks the International Day of Peace, which was established in 1981 by a unanimous resolution in the UN’s General Assembly. To mark the day, QUNO and over 80 additional peacebuilding organizations from throughout the world issued a statement to United Nations Member States that brings attention to peace concerns.
The statement calls on governments and the international community to:
- Fully embrace the commitments to peace in the 2030 Agenda
- Reaffirm a commitment to human rights, the foundation for human dignity and just societies
- Foster social resilience by strengthening inclusion and addressing inequality
- Think local and act global: recommit to multilateralism as a safeguard for the most vulnerable
- Protect and support civil society in fostering sustainable peace